Aluminum air battery – DIY, Electric vehicles, Aluminium-Air Technology
Aluminum air battery
In the Aluminum air battery, aluminum is used as the anode, and the air (oxygen) is used as the cathode.
The batteries can be pretty heavy. This drawback prevents batteries from being a power source in many devices and applications where lightness is crucial.
An aluminum air coil overcomes this problem. It uses air as a cathode, which significantly reduces its weight.
The energy density, that is to say, the energy per unit weight of the battery, is therefore very high.
Despite this, an aluminum air coil is not produced commercially, mainly due to the anode’s high production cost and the aluminum anode’s corrosion problems due to carbon dioxide in the air.
For this reason, the use of this battery is limited to mainly military applications.
However, the high energy density of aluminum-air batteries means that they have a high potential for electric vehicles.
Making an aluminum-air cell is very simple – and can be done with simple household items. We will go over a DIY (do it yourself) guide to making an aluminum air coil.
Aluminum air battery DIY
To make an Aluminum air battery, we need,
- Aluminum foil.
- A saturated solution of water and salt
- Bloating paper
- Fine charcoal dust.
- Two small pieces of electric wires and
- A light-emitting diode.
What future for the aluminum-air battery presented a year ago
- A little over a year ago, on the Monday of the week of the 2014 Montreal Grand Prix, the Israeli company Phinergy organized.
- In collaboration with Alcoa and Hydro-Quebec – at the Canada House on the Island- Saint Helena, to unveil a strange vehicle.
- It was an electric Citroën C1. So far, nothing very extraordinary. Except that its small electric motor did not take its energy from a lithium battery.
- Somewhat from a large so-called aluminum-air battery, capable of supplying electricity to the machine over a distance of 1,600 kilometers.
- We haven’t heard much about this car since. It was marketed somewhere in 2017.
- Even though the 1,600 km range seems futuristic, the truth is, nothing is awe-inspiring about it when you consider that once it’s empty, the battery needs to replace literally.
C02 accessible technology
- Driving with petrol and diesel is causing too much CO2 and too much pollution. According to the IPCC, we have by 2030 to reduce emissions significantly.
- A considerable part of our emissions come from our transport. To meet our 2030 goal, we need to implement a natural alternative to fossil fuels; otherwise, we face catastrophic climate change.
- CO2 emitting transport technology needs to change with CO2-accessible green transport technology.
- It is not just any C02 accessible technology, but one that can satisfy all our transport needs in the 21st century.
Electric vehicles (EVs)
- A complete end to emissions from the road before 2030
- To introduce a viable replacement technology for transport that satisfies our energy and mobility needs
- And also, to have a technology that is sustainable for the future
- Aluminium-Air technology has long attracted attention due to its cheap, lightweight, and high-energy nature.
- Aluminium is the most abundant metal on Earth and is easy to handle, store, and is safe to store electrical energy.
- A Métalectrique power cell is quite simple. A piece of Aluminium is in contact with a unique electrolyte.
- This electrolyte reacts with the metal on the opposing end, and on the positive end, air reacts with the electrolyte.
- When those two reactions are combined, Aluminium changes into hydrated alumina, and the conductor transfers electrons from the second layer, ready to power a device.
- After use, the cycle reprocess the hydrated alumina by smelting it, recovering the water and oxygen as it forms fresh Aluminium.
- These aluminum smelters are green, usually hydro-powered.
- However, smelters could also use solar power, wind power, etc.
- The process, transfers the energy, through the aluminum cycle, from green energy sources into mobile green energy.
- The whole cycle is green, and it recycles the Aluminium, it can use it indefinitely.
- The ‘aluminum-air well’ never runs out.
Are aluminum-air batteries rechargeable?
- Aluminum-air batteries are primary cells, i.e., non-rechargeable.
- The aluminum anode is obsessed by its reaction with atmospheric oxygen at a cathode immersed in a water-based electrolyte to form hydrated aluminum oxide.
- However, the battery will no longer produce electricity.
Also Read: Some Helpful Resources on Dyifo
5 Best Affordable SkullCandy Headphones of 2021
5 Best Affordable SkullCandy Headphones of 2021 – Get the most designer and flashy high-quality SkullCandy headphones for making your…
Document360 for Effortless Knowledge Management in your Organization
Document360 for Effortless Knowledge Management in your Organization – Remember the days when our mothers used to make birthday cakes…